Details of the 2012 SRX
As you may recall, Cadillac announced a while back that they 3.0l V-6 was to be replaced by a new, updated 3.6l V-6 (the 2.8 turbo that we loved here at tCE was discontinued some time before that). Well, Cadillac has announced the entire slate of changes to the SRX for 2012. The new 'LFX' 3.6 brings 308hp and 265 lb-ft in a package that is lighter than the previous version of the 3.6 that has been used before. Also new or updated are the 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission that promises increases of up to 1 mpg, available heated steering wheel, standard bluetooth connectivity on all trims, available Ebony trim, as well as the addition of redundant power window switches to the doors (the previous switches in the center console remain. Full press release below: New for 2012
- New 3.6L direct-injected V-6 with continuously variable valve timing and SAE-certified 308 horsepower (230 kW) and 265 lb.-ft. of torque (359 Nm) becomes the standard engine for all models.
- Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic with driver-selectable Eco feature that alters shift points for greater fuel economy
- Heated steering wheel standard on all Collections
- Bluetooth now standard on the Base model
- New 20-inch wheel finish
- Interior door lock switches added to the door panels (and retained on center console)
- Available all-Ebony interior trim
- One new exterior color available in the fall: Xenon Blue Metallic
Overview The Cadillac SRX enters 2012 with a greater combination of performance, technology and capability, building on the momentum of record-setting sales and more conquests from import owners in the mid-luxury crossover segment. Retail sales were up 17.7 percent in the first half of 2011 – a notable feat considering 2010 sales were up more than 150 percent for the year. A new, more powerful 3.6L V-6 headlines the changes for 2012 and becomes the sole engine offered in the SRX. It is rated at 308 horsepower (230 kW) with efficiency-enhancing features including direct injection and continuously variable valve timing. It also delivers 265 lb.-ft. of torque (359 Nm), with peak torque achieved at a low 2,400 rpm and continuing through 5,300 rpm, giving the SRX a greater feeling of acceleration from a standstill, at low speeds and when passing. The 3.6L is also E85 ethanol-capable. The 3.6L is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission, which features a driver-selectable Eco feature that alters the shift points for up to 1-mpg improved fuel economy in normal driving conditions. Other enhancements to the 2012 SRX include standard Bluetooth phone connectivity on the Base model, a heated steering wheel on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections and door lock switches on the driver and passenger door panels. The new model will continue to have door lock switches on the center console. Also for 2012, SRX will offer a new machined-face finish on the 20-inch wheels, which are standard on Performance and Premium Collections. SRX seats five and delivers generous occupant and cargo room, wrapped in the dramatic and signature Cadillac style that has pushed the brand back to the top of the world’s luxury manufacturer ranks. It is offered in a Base model and Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections, with all-wheel drive offered on all but the Base model. Popular features returning for 2012 include a moveable cargo fence and large under-floor storage space in the rear, a liftgate that can be programmed to stop at different heights and the UltraView sunroof that covers 70 percent of the vehicle roof. SRX design details The SRX’s exterior features a multi-piece shield grille and Cadillac’s iconic vertical headlamps, with light pipe technology and available adaptive forward lighting technology that turns the lamps in the direction of the front wheels. The SRX has a wide stance, minimal overhangs and wheels pushed to corners. Eighteen-inch wheels are standard on the Base and Luxury Collection and 20-inch wheels are standard on Performance and Premium Collections. Additional standard and available exterior features include:
- High-intensity discharge headlamps with Adaptive Forward Lighting System are standard on Performance and Premium Collections.
- Halogen headlamps with windshield wiper-activated Twilight Sentinel feature are standard on Base and Luxury Collections.
- Fog lamps are standard on Performance and Premium Collections.
- Power liftgate is standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors are standard on all models, with power-folding and driver-side auto dimming features standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Rainsense automatic windshield wipers are standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Chrome roof rails are standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels are standard on the Base model.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels with bright machined finish are standard on the Luxury Collection.
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels with bright machined finish and painted accents are standard on Performance and Premium Collections.
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels with Chrome Tech finish are available on Performance and Premium Collections.
- Exterior colors include: Radiant Silver Metallic, Platinum Ice Tricoat, Grey Flannel Metallic, Gold Mist Metallic, Black Ice Metallic, Black Raven, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Mocha Steel Metallic and Xenon Blue Metallic (available in the fall).
SRX interior The SRX’s interior is an environment of comfort and technology, with leather-trimmed seating standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections and available equipment including a navigation system that rises from the center of the instrument panel and features three-dimensional imaging. A signature example of the SRX’s attention to detail is the Cadillac script logos in the front door sill plates that illuminate when the doors are opened. Standard and available interior features include:
- Audio system with navigation with voice recognition, including AM/FM stereo, CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound with 10 speakers, 40-gig hard drive and USB with audio connectivity is standard on the Performance and Premium Collections and available on the Luxury Collection.
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial service is standard on all models.
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on all models.
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is standard on the Premium Collection and dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on Base, as well as the Luxury and Performance Collections.
- Driver information center is standard on all models.
- Keyless access is standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Ambient lighting package is standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Auto-dimming inside mirror with OnStar controls is standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Adjustable pedals are standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Rearview camera system is standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Front bucket seats with power eight-way driver’s adjustment are standard on all models.
- Heated front seats are standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Heated rear outboard seats are standard on the Premium Collection.
- Rear seat with 60/40-split and pass-through is standard on all models.
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel is standard on all models.
- Heated steering wheel is standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections and includes Sapele wood on steering wheel, shift knob, center stack and doors.
- UltraView power sunroof is standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Front floor console and overhead console are standard on all models.
- Rear floor console with rear-seat audio controls and climate controls is standard on Premium.
- Cargo management system and cargo shade are standard on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections.
- Interior color and trim choices include: Ebony with Ebony accents, Titanium with Ebony accents, Shale with Ebony accents and Shale with Brownstone accents.
SRX powertrain A new, larger and more powerful 3.6L direct-injected V-6 – known by its “LFX” engine code – is the new and sole engine for the SRX. It delivers an SAE-certified 308 horsepower (230 kW) and 265 lb.-ft. of torque (359 Nm). The LFX is a 60-degree design, with the cylinder block and cylinder heads cast in aluminum for low weight. A forged steel crankshaft provides optimal strength in the bottom end, while the cylinder heads include four valves per cylinder, with a dual overhead camshaft design incorporating infinitely variable cam phasing. Additionally, optimized-flow fuel injectors and the integrated exhaust manifolds/cylinder heads promote lower emissions. The LFX’s composite intake manifold also has a comparatively small radiated surface area to help it maintain excellent noise and vibration characteristics. The Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission is matched with the LFX engine and features the driver-selectable Eco feature for enhanced fuel economy. The available all-wheel-drive system incorporates an electronic limited-slip rear differential, which not only improves traction in slippery road conditions but provides side-to-side torque transfer along the rear axle to enhance control during hard cornering. SRX chassis and suspension The SRX has a four-wheel independent suspension system and a standard rack-and-pinion hydraulic steering system – and offers a variable-effort, speed-sensitive steering system – with tuning biased for sport sedan-style driving and strong on-center feel. StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard and works in concert with the standard four-wheel-disc/four-channel-ABS braking system. Additional features and details include:
- An independent McPherson strut suspension system is standard on all models, featuring a direct-acting stabilizer bar and hydraulic ride bushings.
- An independent “H-arm” rear suspension incorporates a lightweight hollow stabilizer bar.
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is standard on Base and the Performance Collection.
- Power-assisted variable-effort and speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering system is standard on the Performance and Premium Collections.
- Rear axle ratio is 3.39 on all models.
- A trailering package is available on the Luxury, Performance and Premium Collections and increases the towing capacity to 3,500 pounds (1,587 kg).
SRX safety and crash avoidance features The SRX is designed to protect occupants before, during and after a crash. A strong body structure and chassis that absorb crash energy are complemented by martensitic steel in the fully enclosed rocker sections. Martensitic steel is one of the strongest available and its use in the rockers helps protect against intrusion during a side-impact crash while also helping maintain the structure during front and rear crashes. Additional safety features include:
- Dual-stage frontal and side-impact driver and right-front passenger air bags.
- Head-curtain side-impact air bags.
- Rollover mitigation sensors.
- Front safety belt pretensioners and load limiters.
- Tire pressure monitoring system.
- Trailer stability assist.
- Rearview camera system.
The SRX is also designed to meet European pedestrian protection standards; and the front bumper is positioned for greater compatibility with car bumpers.